Monday, May 7, 2007

Why do I design?

I grew up in a farming village in South Korea.

Until when I was old enough to go to junior highschool in Seoul (Capital of Korea), I didn't know there was such thing as "brand name" clothes.

Naturally, I never considered being a designer because I didn't think there was such an occupation.

I read about great scientists, doctors, philosophers, but I have never read about designers.

When I went to stores to buy clothes, the thought never occured to me that someone actually designed the clothes that I was looking at.

Years went by....
And one day I discovered "Fashion Design".

I discovered that there are people working behind the scene to design all the clothes that I see...
...

My mother asked me one day why I bother going back to school and study Fashion Design.

"Why?"

Strangely that never entered my mind. Why do I study fashion design? Why do I design?

It definitely isn't for money or fame.

I do it because it feels right. I feel alive and happy when I touch the fabric that I am draping with. It feels right.

It took me long time to discover this road.

And I am walking on this road not knowing what I will find next.

I know I will meet some interesting people, I will encounter some difficulties.

But this is the road that I choose to walk on....

How glad I am to find this....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey lee, you are on fire with this blog! I checked out the first entry and now there are like 20 entries! WHen do you sleep? DO you sleep?
Lots of great conceptual designs, keep going!
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

...i bet some (maybe most?) people don't ever find that one thing that they feel as "right" as you feel about fashion design... that's awesome.

About Me

I love Fashion Design. I never felt about anything this strong in my whole life. When I am designing, looking for fabric, draping... those hours go by so quickly. I forget to eat, sleep, or do laundry(^^) when I am designing. I have been searching all my life for that special something that just makes me to forget everything and lets me be me. Fashion design allows me to do that. be myself.